1. Making sure a Malanseuns plant has enough water is
important and must be done correctly. The growing
medium is a unique combination of composturised
wood shavings and sandy loam and the necessary
fertiliser needed to ensure decent growth. The best
result is achieved when the soil is always moist. A
simple test can be carried out to ensure that the
plant is wet – squeeze the bag. If the bag cannot be
indented, water immediately and repeat a second
2. Overhead irrigation; minimum per watering of
±12mm for 4 ℓ bags, 18 mm for 10 ℓ, 25mm for
20 ℓ containers.
3. Should you water by hand, use a spray head. Always
spray from the top – if not the soil will be lost. Test
if bag is wet by using Hint 1.
Once the plants are placed in the exhibition area, use
compost to fill up the bags. Broken stakes should be
replaced. Old flowers, twigs and yellow leaves should
be removed regularly. The plant should not be kept in
the same container for more than a year.
During the propagation period the plants have ample
“feed”. After delivery, fertiliser should be given from
spring until autumn at least every six weeks. During
winter give fertiliser only once. Fertiliser must NEVER be
strewn on dry plants. We recommend 2:3:2 (22) to be
used on most plants.
Fertiliser must not be strewn near the stem. The plant
must be watered immediately. When using a soluble
fertiliser, please follow the manufacturers’ instructions.
Plants should be inspected regularly for diseases and
treated with the correct spraying programme. When
using a spraying programme, remember not to water
the plant for at least 4 hours afterwards.
NB! Please read the manufacturers’ instructions,
before you commence spraying.
BASIC RECOMMENDED SPRAYING PROGRAMME
Sucking and biting insects:
• Insecticide granules
Rust, Leaf Spot or Downy Mildew, and Black Spot:
• Bravo 500
• Rosecare 3
RECOMMENDED PLANTING PROCEDURE
1. Dig a hole twice the size of container.
2. Soak the plant thoroughly in a container of water,
if possible. Larger containers must be drenched
thoroughly with water.
3. Mix the removed soil with half compost
4. Scatter some soil mixture on the bottom of the
hole, so that when plant is planted, it should be
slightly below the actual soil level.
5. Fill the hole with water and let it drain.
6. Remove plastic bag or container from the plant
and place it in the hole.
7. Add the rest of the compost mixture into the hole.
8. Ensure that the soil around the plant is firmly
9. Make a dam around the plant and fill it with water.
10. Fertilise with granular fertilizer, as indicated by the
manufacturer, once the plant is established (±3
months) after planting.
Monday - Friday: 07:00 - 17:00
Closed on Saturdays & Sundays
Last of first Friday of each month 07:00 - 12:00
Find us on
Follow us on
Malanseuns sell only to the trade and deliver by road to all of South Africa as well as neighbouring countries, like Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, etc. Retail sales are done through its chain of Garden Centres.